Beginning on the first day of summer, Wednesday, June 20, Wild Ginger and The Triple Door will join the Summer of Riesling, a national movement spearheaded by New York restaurateur Paul Grieco to shine the spotlight on this lively white wine. Now in its fifth year, Summer of Riesling has evolved from a single wine bar’s effort to promote Riesling into a nationwide movement to showcase this noble, and oftentimes underrated, grape.
Summer of Riesling events:
- Thursday, June 21, Sandra Bernhard and the Wines of Australia: an exclusive event for guests of the Sandra Bernhard show, “I Love Being Me, Don’t You,” this informal tasting event will provide sips of 8-10 Australian Rieslings paired with passed appetizers from the kitchen of Wild Ginger in The Triple Door suites. The tasting beings at 6 p.m. and the show begins at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $55 and include an informal tasting with 8-10 Australian Rieslings and passed appetizers, entry to the show with guaranteed priority seating with a glass of Riesling awaiting. Space is limited to the first 30 guests. Call The Triple Door at 206-838-4333 for tickets.
- Friday, July 6, Dr. Loosen/Robert Weil Winemaker Dinner with Kirk Wille at Wild Ginger at the Bravern: Dr. Loosen’s own Kirk Wille will host a dinner featuring older vintages of Dr. Loosen and Robert Weil perfectly paired with Asian delicacies from the Wild Ginger menu. The dinner is $99 per person and limited to 18 guests. To make reservations call Wild Ginger Bellevue at (425)495-8889.
- Wednesday, August 8- Friday, August 10, Present Burlesco DiVino: Wine in Rome: this very special wine-themed show was created by Seattle’s A-list burlesque team, Lily Verlaine and Jasper McCann to celebrate the Summer of Riesling. Five shows will be offered: Wednesday, August 8 at 8:00 p.m. (17+); Thursday, August 9 at 8:00 p.m. (17+) and 10:30 p.m. (21+) and Friday, August 10 at 8:00 p.m. (17+) and 10:30 p.m. (21+). Prices range from $25-$35. Call The Triple Door at 206-838-4333 for tickets.
- Thursday, August 9, Terry Theise Austrian Riesling Dinner & Burlesco DiVino: Wine in Rome: sip a perfectly paired menu featuring Austrian Riesling and cuisine from the Triple Door while enjoying Burlesco DiVino: Wine in Rome, the Summer of Riesling Burlesque show, from The Triple Door suites. The event starts at 7 p.m. and runs until the end of the show, which begins at 8 p.m. Tickets are $99 per person. Space is limited to the first 20 guests. Call The Triple Door at (206) 838-4333 for tickets.
- Wednesday, August 22, August Kesseler Dinner: featuring top selections from this famed Riesling and Pinot Noir producer from the Rheingau region in Germany. Wines will be presented by August himself and paired with Wild Ginger fare. The event begins at 6:30 p.m. and costs $60 per person. Space is limited to the first 20 guests and reservations can be made by calling Wild Ginger Seattle at (206) 623-4450.
- Friday, September 7, Australian Winemaker Dinner at Wild Ginger at The Bravern: this dining adventure pairs dry Rieslings from all over Australia with Wild Ginger’s authentic Asian cuisine. Dinner is $75 per person. To make reservations call Wild Ginger Bellevue at (425)495-8889.
- Friday, September 14, Oregon vs. Washington, featuring Brennon Leighton from Efeste and Matt Berson from Love and Squalor at Wild Ginger Seattle: This David vs. Goliath event will pit Washington Rieslings vs. those of Oregon. Following a dinner paired with wines from both regions, guests will determine the winning wine country. The victor will receive bragging rights, plus the opportunity to have his wine featured as the Riesling glass pour at Wild Ginger Seattle, Wild Ginger Bellevue and The Triple Door, for a minimum of one month. A selection from the winning wine region will also be featured as Wild Ginger’s high-end glass pour for one month. Dinner is $75 per person. To make reservations call Wild Ginger Seattle at (206) 623-4450.