After more than two decades in the heart of Belltown, the flagship El Gaucho Seattle location will begin the third chapter in its storied history with a move to the Union Stables building just north of Pike Place Market. When the doors open in the summer of 2020, guests will experience the same legendary hospitality as the company embarks on a vision to embrace the defining elements of its rich legacy and build for the future. In addition to the new Seattle location, 2020 will bring a new and fifth El Gaucho in Vancouver, WA, joining the rest of the collection in Portland, Bellevue, and Tacoma. The company also invested in updates to El Gaucho Tacoma’s private dining spaces.
“As we begin the next 25 years of El Gaucho, we are excited about the opportunity to honor all that has defined us and evolve that experience into something new,” said Chad Mackay, CEO, Fire & Vine Hospitality. “Our guests and team are helping us to discern the fundamental El Gaucho elements including exceptional service, live-fire cooking and dramatic tableside preparations. We will preserve and amplify these to create a place that feels familiar, yet truly special.”
This move marks the third location for El Gaucho’s Seattle flagship. From 1953 – 1985, the original set the standard for a fine dining steakhouse at 7th and Stewart. Paul Mackay believed in the vision and brought it back in 1996 in its current home at First and Wall. Since then, new locations opened in Bellevue, Tacoma, Portland and AQUA by El Gaucho on Seattle’s Pier 70. In December 2020, El Gaucho Vancouver will open in its waterfront location in the new Hotel Indigo.
The current location at First and Wall will remain open until the new space is complete to ensure a seamless transition and allow guests to relive memories and celebrate at a series of special events. Several team members have been with the company for nearly 20 years and the entire team is looking forward to being part of this new era.
El Gaucho Seattle, Union Stables
- 2414 Western Ave, Seattle WA 98121 – two blocks north of Pike Place Market
- Opening in summer 2020 – current location will remain open until new space is complete to ensure an easy transition for the team and guests.
- The main dining room, four private dining rooms and bar will occupy 10,000 square feet.
- El Gaucho Seattle will be open for dinner and happy hour.
- New look will feature luxurious finishes to complement the rustic original wood and brick in the historic space.
- Comfortable elegance includes cushioned seats and upholstered booths to ensure an atmosphere where conversations flourish.
- Sparkling silver, shimmering candlelight and a new indoor fire table will beckon when viewed through the multi-paned windows.
- Tableside service is an El Gaucho hallmark – from Caesar Salad and Flaming Brochette to the final flambé of Bananas Foster.
- Nightly live music will continue to be a key element of the El Gaucho experience.
- Several of the commissioned paintings by artist Nina Mikahailenko will move to the new location and others will find new homes in other El Gaucho locations.
- Four private dining rooms of various sizes will continue celebratory traditions.
- Servers and the culinary team will receive new custom uniforms including an updated tuxedo style for front of the house staff.
- Tradition of live fire cooking continues with an amplified exhibition grilling experience with the evolution of racking, hanging and smoking capabilities.
- The menu will continue to feature traditional steakhouse classics with thoughtful seasonal updates.
- Ongoing commitment to sourcing the best products in the world
- 28-day dry-aged Niman Ranch All-Natural Prime Certified Angus Beef®
- Local and organic seasonal produce
- Sustainable seafood
- Rare and specialty items
About Union Stables
- The El Gaucho current location has a rich history, as does the new home at Seattle’s Union Stables
- Union Stables is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built in 1910, it was home to 300 horses used for pulling streetcars and fire engines. It is a rare example of a brick and heavy timber multi-story stables building and was once considered the most modern building of its kind west of the Mississippi.
- LEED Gold certified renovation in 2015 and award-winning historical preservation with efficiency upgrades including a green roof to reduce storm water flows which contributes to the overall 70% reduction in energy use.
- Historic Seattle 2016 Preservation Award for “Best Rehabilitation”
- NAIOP 2015 Redevelopment/Renovation of the Year
- State of Washington 2015 State Historic Preservation Award
- The renovation retained many of the unique touches from the building’s prior life. The weight-bearing wood beams were reinforced but retain the markings where horses would brush against and nibble the wood. The original brick walls are also exposed capturing the look of an earlier era.
About Fire & Vine Hospitality
The Fire & Vine Hospitality team provides operational leadership, culinary expertise and product sourcing, marketing and technology support for some of the Pacific Northwest’s most iconic hotels and restaurants including El Gaucho Seattle, Bellevue, Tacoma, Portland and Vancouver opening in 2020; AQUA by El Gaucho; The Inn at El Gaucho, Miller’s Guild, The Lakehouse, Civility & Unrest, Eritage Resort and Aerlume, located steps from Seattle’s Pike Place Market. The Revelers Club is the industry’s most generous rewards program designed to reward and honor our guest’s loyalty and provide benefits at each Fire & Vine property, as well as Walla Walla Steak Co. and Crossbuck Brewing. Free to join, the Revelers Club shares birthday and anniversary gifts at each level of the program and members receive points for every dollar spent.
Each Fire & Vine Hospitality property is unique to the community it serves but all share the following attributes.
- Service – We provide every guest with a unique, unparalleled experience. We revel in celebrating lives.
- Quality – Our mission is to source the best in the world for our guests to enjoy.
- Community – Building a strong community th